Words like 「滅入る」and 「翻る」I just cant understand. When I look at the spelling for えいる and がえる, it just doesn't match with what I hear. with えいる I hear "eh-E-ru", but since い extends え (I think it does) shouldn't it be "meeh-ru"? and with がえる I hear "gah-I-ru". but its an え so shouldn't it be "gah-eh-ru". This is all super confusing to me and I'm probably fundamentally wrong somewhere so any help is greatly appreciated. (I'm a beginner)

2 Answers 2


It's worth noting that while the えい vowel combination in kana can represent a lengthened え sound, it doesn't always - in some words, it simply represents the え sound followed by the い sound. In the case of 滅入る, the kanji suggest that the め and いる are separate morphemes, so a "long e" pronunciation would be unlikely.

For 翻る, the vowel is definitely an え, but I can certainly see how it might sound like an い in rapid speech. The Japanese え in general is a little closer to い than the "bed" vowel of most English dialects is, and in vowel clusters like this the second vowel isn't always pronounced that distinctly.


I don't know where you originally heard these phrases from, but you'd pronounce these as:

滅入る めーいーる meh-ee-roo

翻る ひーるーがーえーる he-roo-gah-eh-roo

It should be fairly straightforward. Perhaps in the quicker pace of daily ordinary speech the sound might slide or be compressed to the listener.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .