Considering "How to define 羨ましい?", it does not seem that 羨【うらや】ましい conveys a strong intensity of jealousy.

How does 妬【ねた】ましい compare to 羨【うらや】ましい then?

Does 妬【ねた】ましい convey a stronger sense of jealously than the "I wish I were you" kind? How is 妬【ねた】ましい used differently from 羨【うらや】ましい?

Also as an aside, has Shakespeare's concept of the green-eyed monster influenced the Japanese language for 緑【みどり】の目【め】 to be considered as a concept for jealousy?

• I'm kind of curious why the kanji for woman is within it.
    – Golden Cuy
    Commented Apr 27, 2012 at 11:06
    @AndrewGrimm. Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.
    – Flaw
    Commented Apr 27, 2012 at 11:30
    @AndrewGrimm: You can look those kinds of things up in a decent 漢和辞典. For example, in 漢字源 it says 「女+(音符)石(セキ)」で、女性が競争者に負けまいと真っ赤になって興奮すること。(Abbreviated) If you do not have a 漢和辞典, flip through a few at a bookstore and find one that suites your needs.
    – Dono
    Commented Apr 27, 2012 at 15:32

1 Answer 1

As far as I know, 妬ましい has more of a negative connotation. Like an "evil" jealousy. I know in my Japanese Bible, it's often used in talking about "coveting" or "being greedy for". This dictionary entry includes

悪感情がこめられている場合が多い

Whereas 羨ましい has more of a neutral, or even positive nuance. "You're going to Disneyland next month? I'm so jealous!"

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .