This is from a e-mail sent to me in my work place.

I tried to search in the internet for the whole phrase but there is no direct translation.

When I tried to search for the meaning word per word, I found that: 小職 - have a meaning lowly government servant, I, etc. 権限 - have a meaning power, authority and jurisdiction.

With these, I think it's a phrase that humbly pertains to oneself.

Is my deduction correct? What is its proper English word equivalent?

It's a noun 権限 with modifier 小職. Likely used in an expression "within my responsibilities/power", but who knows...? Only you, because you don't think interpretation requires quoting the full expression. – macraf Sep 19 '17 at 1:58
  • {{pad}}小職【しょうしょく】 is an uncommon humble first-person pronoun used mainly by bureaucrats. It's simply "I" in English. Other business-related humble first-person pronouns include 本官【ほんかん】 ("I" used by police offices), 拙僧【せっそう】 ("I" used by monks), 弊職【へいしょく】 ("I" used by lawyers), etc. Don't use them to address someone.
  • 権限 is simply "authority", "managing power", "right", "permission" etc.

So 小職の権限 is "my control", "the extent I have authority to", etc.

• それは小職の権限が及ばない範囲です。 That is beyond my power/control.
  • 小職の権限で可能です。 It is possible at my discretion.
  • Thank you for your reply. The added information and warnings are also very useful. :) – Karen88 Sep 20 '17 at 12:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.