I was creating some simple phrases using the help of Google Translator but it translated a phrase that I wrote:

君の車はあまり新しくない

But converted this exact phrase to:

あなたの車はあまり新しいものではありません。

Well at least for me as a beginner in japanese, it sounded over complicated plus I don't know some words such as もので and I already heard of ありません which is the negative form of あります which by the way I don't know what it means.

• Something like a difference between "Hey, your banger's pretty worn-out" and "Your vehicle doesn't really look that modern, mister"? Maybe not to that extent, but this direction. And context is king anyway, you can't tell just by a single sentence. – macraf Sep 18 '17 at 1:09

The former is more casual, much more casual I would say, you should only use with people you are very close without sounding offensive. The latter is polite, but the use of あなた is complicated, I think the most natural thing would be to use the name of the person + honorific to sound right. None of them are incorrect, but you have to be careful while using each of them.

もの = thing It is not もので, the character で makes part of ではありません which is a polite form of じゃありません or じゃない.

I find Google Translate comes up with more polite sentence constructs, which the latter one is. The one you came up with, the former sentence, has a more casual tone. Neither one is incorrect.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.