I doubt the literal equivalent 臨界量 is likely to work here.

I'm speaking in the sense of a community activity, where a critical mass of people is required in order for it to survive. e.g. if a group of 10 people meet weekly to do something (e.g. playing poker, going hiking, etc.) it's likely to continue to happen, while if only 2-3 people are interested it's likely that the desire to continue will disappear and it becomes difficult to encourage new people to join.

Is there something similar I could use to refer to this concept?

クリティカルマス or クリティカル・マス is widely used as marketing jargon, but this only refers to a nationwide market share of a new product/service. When describing smaller community activities, I don't think there is a good and short phrase. Some ways to rephrase it would be:

• 持続可能な最低限の人数 (lit. "minimum sustainable number of people")
  • 次回以降に安定して続けていける人数
  • 次からもやれそうなだけの人数

臨界質量 and 臨界量 don't work in this context.

We don't have a portable word specifically for your situation. You can refer to @naruto's suggested phrases if you want to use it independently, or reword to:

[what you want to do] を続けていけるだけの人数

Of course, that doesn't translate every "critical mass" regarding people other than the context you explained.

I also found a few usage of 臨界人数 at Google, but I'm not sure if it'll gain popularity (at lease not by now).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.