i couldn't understand the sentence until i read the translation, mainly because of the order of the words..does で means 'and' here? and why is the sentence translated as "But, I liked this pretty, cute color." thank you so much.

で is used to join multiple adjectival words or phrases and is used directly after a な-adjective or noun-based adjectival clause.

先生はハンサムでお金持ちで頭がいい方です。 Sensei is handsome, rich, and a smart person.

「きれいで」は、形容動詞「きれいな」の連用形・・・って国語の授業では習うんですが、日本語学習者はそうは教わらないんですかね、やっぱ・・
    – Chocolate
    Sep 18 '17 at 14:47
  • thank you! i understand that part, but what confuses me is that この色が好き isn't somehow link to the sentence thus I don't understand why the whole sentence means what it means. hmm.
    – swelte
    Sep 20 '17 at 13:57
    Let's partition it this way: きれいでかわいい(pretty and adorable)この色(this color)が好き(I like), which when rearranged for English would be: I like/this color/(that's)pretty and adorable.
    – keithmaxx
    Sep 21 '17 at 1:46

You know how like some people start to say something, change mid sentence and say something else, but then circling back? If you read 「私はこの色がすき」the link makes perfect sense. Now break the link, like the speaker, and interject why the color is liked. Or perhaps pretty and cute are the ways in which the speaker is describing the particular color they like. (Not all colors are pretty and cute). I'm more like the person the speaker is speaking with as I don't really fancy such a color. (I lie).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.