Im on my research about form and meaning of japanese reduplication. Have you guys ever heard or use 休み休み? What exactly the meaning is? If I translate 'resting multiple times' is it right? Thanks

• It sounds like young girl who is in high spirits due to 休み. – vdudouyt Sep 14 '17 at 11:05
  • So is it like someone has a cheerful personality or what? – user25631 Sep 14 '17 at 13:58

I assume you already know onomatopoeia/mimetic words such as キラキラ and ヒューヒュー, which heavily use reduplication. The following is only about duplicated verbs.

There are a few words that appear in the form of "repeated verbs", but you have to memorize their meanings one by one, looking them up in a dictionary:

• 休み休み (no-adj): "resting at times; with pauses"
  • ノリノリ (no-adj): "in high spirits​; cooking" (almost always written in kana)
  • イケイケ (na-adj/no-adj): "excited; upbeat" (almost always written in kana)
  • 飛び飛び (no-adj): "with intervals; scattered; sporadic"
  • 泣く泣く (adverb): "tearfully; with great regret; reluctantly"
  • 返す返す (adverb): "indeed; really; repeatedly"

Basically you cannot repeat arbitrary verbs (aside from rare exceptions in poetry/lyrics, where verb reduplication is occasionally employed for metrical purposes, e.g., 「本を読み読み」 = "reading a book").

You can use V + に + V pattern to express doing something intensively and/or repeatedly. This is a generic pattern with which you can use almost any verb.

• Is V+に+V pattern use for reduplicated verbs? Does reduplicated verbs in Japanese just as you've mention above? Mm if I translate 休み休み as 'resting multiple times while do something' am I right? – user25631 Sep 14 '17 at 13:24
  • @user25631 1) See the link. You can say 走りに走った, 笑いに笑った and so on and on. 2) Maybe correct, but I can't tell without seeing the full sentence. – naruto Sep 14 '17 at 13:34
  • Mm but almost in data that Ive found the pattern for reduplicated verbs are not like that...most of all V+V pattern without に. Ex : 恐る恐る 泣き泣き 代わる代わる... Hmm Im just see the meaning based on derived word not from the sentence..Is it hard to decide if I just look the meaning from the derived word? – user25631 Sep 14 '17 at 13:53
  • 恐る恐る and 代わる代わる are adverbs listed in a dictionary, and they have their own (unpredictable) meanings. You have to memorize the meaning of each word. 恐れに恐れる is not listed in a dictionary, but it simply means "to be extremely afraid." It's a generic pattern you can reuse with many various verbs once you've understood it. – naruto Sep 14 '17 at 14:06
  • But before become adverbs, both of are verbs right? – user25631 Sep 14 '17 at 14:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.