What particle should be used for a place of action (or a place to go?) in case of using V-2+に行く construction? E.g.

食堂 _ 食べに行きます。

At one hand, 食堂 is a place of action (eating) and で-particle should be used. At the other hand, it's a place to go, so に-particle should be used. However, the last case seems a bit strange to me, because a verb 行きます already has an object with に-particle - 食べに.

So what's the correct particle to be used in such cases? Maybe both particles are acceptable? - In this case does a choice of particle carry any meaning?

に(へ)~しに行く means "to go to the place in order to ~ ( to go to the place for the purpose of ~). For example, レストランに食べに行きます( I got to a restaurant to eat). I think 食堂で食べに行きます is unnatural because we don't say place+で+行く. However you can say 毎日昼飯を大学の食堂で食べます, which means "I eat lunch at a refectory in my university ever day.)".

I think you understood them correctly because you knew で is used for a place of action and に is used for a place to go. It is no problem that a verb 行きます already has an object with に-particle.

• へ-particle is also possible? Is there any difference between using へ and に here? – stop-cran Sep 14 '17 at 11:58
    Yes. The difference is little. に emphasizes the location and へ emphasizes the direction. – Yuuichi Tam Sep 14 '17 at 12:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.