For a while now I've been trying to write "[I'm happy that] X chose me", and I've come across the following:

Xが選んでくれて
Xに選ばれてくれて
Xに選んでもらって

Where the second option (passive + くれる) actually seems to have the most number of hits, despite me having never learned it and no English sites explaining it either. But I can't make sense of it. くれる talks about the giver, while the passive form refers to the speaker/receiver. What does this structure mean?

Aが Xに 選ばれてくれて 私はうれしい means "I'm glad that X chose A / A is chosen by X". It indicates that compared with X, A is closer to 私 and 私 thanks A.

Xに選ばれてくれて can't mean "X chose me" unless you see the situation from a different viewpoint.

• Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. But by 私 thanks A do you mean 私 thanks X (for choosing A)? – idlackage Sep 10 '17 at 15:40
    As I wrote, I mean "私 thanks A". The one chosen by X is A, so the one who 私 thanks is A. That's how the passive sentence works with くれて. – user4092 Sep 10 '17 at 23:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.