Can someone explain to me in colloquial term the difference between plain-form(普通形【ふつうけい】) and dictionary-form(辞書形【じしょけい】)of the verbs? As far as I can tell there is no difference between the two but my school book says plain-form and dictionary-form separately.

I would really appreciate it if someone can clear this up for me. Thanks.

My guess is that your book talks of "plain-form" when is referring to a style of speech. For example, in casual conversation you use the plain-form as opposed to the "polite-form" (普通形{ふつうけい} and 丁寧形{ていねいけい} respectively in Japanese).

In some cases this happens to be the same as the dictionary-form or 辞書形{じしょけい}. Specifically in the non-past and positive case:

For example:

Polite: 学校に行きます。

Casual: 学校行く

In the second case you're using a plain-form that happens to be just the dictionary form. So there is no difference here.

However, in general the "plain-form" could be really anything. That is, whatever the conjugation of the verb you still call it "plain form". Using the same example as above:

Polite: 昨日、学校に行きませんでした。

Casual: 昨日、学校行かなかった

So in this second example, the verb is in the the negative past plain form. So you notice that although this is still called "plain-form" it is not the same as the dictionary form in this case (the latter being 行く of course).

So, to resume:

Dictionary form: is the form of the verb as it is found in the dictionary (not surprisingly).

Plain form: it indicates a form of the verb that is generally used in casual/non-formal conversations and it includes present/past and affirmative/negative conjugations (in other words dictionary/root form, -nai, -ta, and -nakatta forms).

You can see more here.

If you refer to 普通形{ふつうけい} as plain form, you should know that 辞書形{じしょけい} is part of the 普通形{ふつうけい} as the less polite equivalent to the マス形{けい}.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.