I'm not sure if I translate this passage from the song right:

ほら、あなたにとって、大事な人ほどすぐ側にいるの。

I'm not sure which perspective we're talking about. Is the other person right by my side because I'm important to him/her? Is the の at the end a nominalizer or as an explanation?

ただ、あなたにだけ、届いて欲しい響け恋の歌。

I assume this means that I want the song to reach just him/her. However, why is there the ただ? Is it a conjunction to the previous sentence and if yes why?

Also, what is the form of 響け here - the imperative? If yes, how does that fit into the sentence?

• I disagree with the interpretation mentioned by someone else. My interpretation of the first line: "Hey look–you always tend to have the most important people closest to you." – Locksleyu Sep 5 '17 at 20:29

The first sentence means "The more important people are for you, the closer they are to you". This の indicates emotional emphasis, which is mainly used by female. ただ~だけ means "just only". I think this 響け is close to hope than the imperative and 響け恋の歌 is inversion.

• Thanks, can you elaborate on the first sentence? I would have never come to this conclusion :) – cboe Sep 7 '17 at 5:27
  • ~ほど~ means "The more ~, the more ~". For example, (聞けば)聞くほど興味深くなる(The more I hear, the more interested I become.) – Yuuichi Tam Sep 7 '17 at 7:58
  • Ok, i think I get it now, thanks! One more question, is the phrase in [] the predicate here: [ただ、あなたにだけ、届いて欲しい響け恋の]歌。 – cboe Sep 10 '17 at 9:30
  • The sentence would be usually 「ただ、あなたにだけ、恋の歌が届いて欲しい。恋の歌よ、響け!」. Lyrics has often unnormal grammar. – Yuuichi Tam Sep 10 '17 at 10:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.