Context: in a boxing match, boxer A is fighting against the particularly tough boxer B. Even after having taken a lot of punches, boxer B is still standing. During a break, the trainer of boxer A says:

タフネスにもスイッチがある。ちゃんと殺しきれよ… ガキ…

I think that スイッチ has a metaphorical meaning here. Since it is usually associated with switching things on/off, could it mean something like a way to stop or a way to defeat? How would you translate it? My translation attempt:

Even toughness can be stopped in some way. You must totally destroy him, kid...

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: for more context, I can say that boxer B is a 打たれ強い boxer. He's an ex kick-boxer who says that boxing punches are 'light' compared to the kicks you get in kick-boxing. Being not afraid of punches, he advances to get close to his opponent even while being hit. He is an infighter, a boxer who fights at close distante from his opponent. Here's the entire page the sentence is taken from. In this page Boxer B has just got up after being knocked down by Boxer A. For further context, here are the following pages: 28-29 and 30-31. The manga is called リクドウ.

• I think that スィッチ is a threshold. If you go beyond it, you can't stand. – user25382 Sep 5 '17 at 0:48
  • amazon.co.jp/… I found 心のスイッチ 打たれ強さ. – user25382 Sep 5 '17 at 0:51
    @macraf Whether a word is a 和製英語 or not is not something you should ask on English SE. This is about the metaphorical usage of the Japanese word スイッチ. – naruto Sep 5 '17 at 3:13
    Um, anyway, actually this タフネスのスイッチ sounds a bit weird to me, too, and I would like to have more context. Perhaps pasting an entire page may help. – naruto Sep 5 '17 at 3:18
    @kimiTanaka Please try to avoid writing answers in the comment section. – snailboat Sep 5 '17 at 14:10

In my opinion, Boxer B was knocked down in 1st round because his body was not warm enough or something. I think that it's not normal in the real boxing though, the trainer worries about boxer B will get used to the Boxer A's hard punches as the round goes on if the toughness switch on. The trainer said the boxer A should have completely knocked him out in the 1st round. My interpretation.

After I read the pages, boxer B was knocked down(flash-down: not so much damage since boxer B was not get used to the boxer A's punches trajectory) by boxer A's counter-punch in 1st round. So, boxer B doesn't carry over his damage to next round and he may recover quickly during the round interval.

Even devices that produce great force will move or stop depending on the on / off of the switch.

In this case, I think that the phrase means that you should turn off or destroy the opponent's switch properly so that you definately stop the supply of his toughness to demonstrate; in other words, you should aim at the opponent's weak points or vital points in order to let the opponent never attack you.

No, you don't "cut off a switch" (unless you had a knife to remove it from where it was mounted). You can use a cut-off switch to cut off the supply of "toughness". That's really not a question about Japanese... – macraf Sep 5 '17 at 5:23
  • @macraf: I understand "to cut off the switch" is 和製英語, so I edited my answer. Anyway I think the given sentence refers to attack the opponent's weak points or vital points to destroy the toughness. – mackygoo Sep 5 '17 at 6:08
  • I don't understand your comment. What is the 和製英語 which you refer to? – macraf Sep 5 '17 at 6:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.