Eg: "What is it like for T-san to be jealous?"

Is it ヤキモチ焼きのTさんはどうですか?

Thank you!

↓ So.. T-san is not the subject of "to be jealous"... (cos I initially thought it was... I thought the sentence meant Tさんがヤキモチ焼いたらどんな感じですか? / ヤキモチを焼いてるTさんってどんな感じですか?) – Chocolate Sep 9 '17 at 0:12
  • @Chocolate "it" is dummy/hypothetical subject. I think he is asking "What is it like to be X? There is the abstract concept of being X. If you apply it to you, how do you feel it?" In this case, "What is it like to be Jealous? There is the abstract concept of being Jealous. If you apply it to T-san, how does T-san feel it?" – user25382 Sep 9 '17 at 2:30
    ^ あの・・仮主語"it" は "is" の主語ですよね。。。私が言ってるのは、"be jealous" の主語が "T-san"ではないんですか、ってことです。不定詞の意味上の主語は、 for~~ で表して前置するでしょう? It was a mistake for her to follow his advice「彼女が彼の忠告に従ったのは間違いでした」、 It is desirable for there to be a cold season once a year 「年に一度寒い季節があるということは望ましい」(=It is desirable that there should be a cold season once a year) みたいな。。。ここではそれが当てはまらないとしたら、何故でしょう・・・ – Chocolate Sep 9 '17 at 4:16
  • @ Chocolate Thanks for the kind examples. In textbook in Japan, possibly yes. But, I think that "is" is an impersonal verb. So no subject in the sentence in particular. According to Wikipedia: "In linguistics, an impersonal verb is one that has no determinate subject. For example, in the sentence "It rains", rain is an impersonal verb and the pronoun it does not refer to anything." But Wikipedia might be wrong, in such case you are correct. – user25382 Sep 9 '17 at 5:38
    あのぅ・・・ 私は、「形式主語の it」の話をしているのではないのですが。。。 to不定詞の意味上の主語 (つまり、to-infinitiveの動作主)の話をしているのですけど。。。 「What is it like for T-san to be jealous?」で、「for T-san」は「Tさんにとって (どんな感じ?)」になるんでしょうか、それとも「Tさん (jealousになる...)」になるんでしょうか?それはどこで判断したらいいんでしょう? – Chocolate Sep 9 '17 at 10:09

I think.

"What is it like for T-san to be jealous?"

ヤキモチ焼くって、Tさんにとってどんな感じですか?

Edit 1:

So, did I make a mistake in English Grammar.

What is it like (for you) to be a philosopher?

哲学者でいるって、あなたにとってどんな感じですか?

http://www.whatisitliketobeaphilosopher.com/

You can find a lot of interviews of philosophers on the page like the following questions about their personalities.

Where did you grow up?

What did your parents do?

Was your family, were you, religious?

and so on so forth...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.