I would like to say "Alive animals that arrive to Europe" and my attempt would be something like ヨロッパに着く生きている動物が.." but it seems kinda wrong to concatenate the two verbs in that way. I'm not sure if by simply changing 着く to 着いて would make any sense.

Thanks

• 着る means "to put on/wear clothes". – l'électeur Sep 3 '17 at 12:08
  • Sorry for the typo. I meant 着く – kuonb Sep 3 '17 at 12:18
    In English, alive is a predicate-only adjective (The animals are alive but not *alive animals), so you need to say live or living in attributive position (Live animals or Living animals). Also, we arrive at rather than *arrive to. But did you mean something like Animals that arrive in Europe alive (= 'animals which are alive at the time they arrive in Europe')? – snailcar Sep 3 '17 at 14:46

Alive animals that arrive to Europe ヨーロッパに着く生きている動物が..

Your attempt in Japanese somewhat makes sense, but not so good.

Google translation gives me as: ヨーロッパに到着{とうちゃく}した生きている動物, but the expression isn't natural though it makes sense.

My attempt is as follows depending on the situation how the animals arrive to Europe:

(1) 生きてヨーロッパに到着{とうちゃく}した動物 or 生きてヨーロッパに着{つ}いた動物
(2) 生きたままヨーロッパに到着した動物

In (1), the animals arrive to Europe after their making great effort such as swimming across the Atlantic Ocean.
On the other hand, in (2), these animals are very weak to be carried alive, so it was very lucky this time that they could carry them to Europe alive.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.