I am having some trouble grasping the meaning of 寄せられる in this context. While the most common meaning of 寄せる that I see is something akin to "to approach", it is clearly varied in meaning contextually, as I see it often and am unclear on exactly what it implies. Here's the passage:

しかし、 企画に対して、「 社会が苦しい」「 読んで生きるのが楽になりました」 という感想が思った以上に寄せられています 。そうした決断は難しいようです.

• It seems to me the project needed a lot of opinions from the audience. Then the project has gathered a lot of comments from the audience. The inbox of the project has been approached by the mails whose the audience's comments such as (「 社会が苦しい」「 読んで生きるのが楽になりました」). I have no idea about "そうした決断は難しいようです."
    – user25382
    Aug 31 '17 at 23:24

If you read the beginning of the Huffington Post article which you quoted, you can see the project consisted of a survey.

You can even find a synonym for the 寄せる in the first two sentences of the article itself:

ハフポスト日本版が6月からスタートさせた「だからひとりが好き」の企画で掲載した、中学・高校で感じた「同調圧力が苦痛だった」という記事に寄せられた声だ。

こうしたメッセージがたくさん届き、同じ悩みを抱えた人たちがいかに多いかを実感した。

The word simply means "gathered", "received".

And you can find the definition in the dictionary too:

5 意見・情報などを送り届ける。手紙・文章などを送る。提供する。「回答を―・せる」「便りを―・せる」

From goo辞書, 寄せる has the following meaning:

5 意見・情報などを送り届ける。手紙・文章などを送る。提供する。「回答を―・せる」「便りを―・せる」

Which means to send options, information or letter, article.

寄せる + られる becomes 寄せられる, which is the passive form of 寄せる.

So the original sentence is:

...... opinions like 「 社会が苦しい」「 読んで生きるのが楽になりました」 are sent (to the organizer) more than expected.

• to send options-- opinions ですかね・・
    – Chocolate
    Sep 1 '17 at 3:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.