As always, we have to take non-sentence poetry at face value; sometimes it is almost always ambiguous, but there is probably another perspective I am over looking. Taking a look at the final verse from きのこ帝国's second track from 渦になる, titled "退屈しのぎ" (full lyrics and transcription / translation I'm working on):

唐突に始まるお前の昔話
聞きながらアルペジオ
冴えないノンフィクションの結末を
握っているお前の手は冷たいから嫌だ
やさぐれ吐く息に混じる声が歌い出す

The bits of this verse fall out pretty easily, but the way they fit together is a little hard for me. My attempt:

唐突に始まるお前の昔話 == "Suddenly it begins, your reminiscence"

聞きながらアルペジオ == Is the 昔話 being listen to, as in "while listening"? (Could it be ながら "although [in which case, does this imply an arpeggio is being "played"?]) Is this 聞き as in "ask"? Why is アルペジオ surrounded by no verb phrase or particles? Is it アルペジオを as in アルペジオをする?

冴えないノンフィクションの結末を == "concludes the dark / sullen non-fiction"

Could this 冴えない mean "boring / uninteresting" ? Does アルペジオがノンフィクションの結末する mean the same, as in, the arpeggio concludes the non-fiction?

握っているお前の手は冷たいから嫌だ == Does this 握っている describe お前, resulting in something like, "Your hand, that I'm clutching, is cold, so I hate (holding) it"

やさぐれ吐く息に混じる声が歌い出す == "Sings in a voice with a sulking breath"

As far as parsing goes, my brain is intuitively seeing three "sentences" in this verse.

• 唐突に始まるお前の昔話(を)聞きながら、アルペジオ。
  • 【{(冴えないノンフィクションの結末)を握っている→}お前の手】は、冷たいから嫌だ。
  • {(やさぐれ吐く息)に混じる声}が、歌い出す。

Note:

• Some verb after アルペジオ is omitted. What's omitted is a very hard question for me. One easy option is to extract the アルペジオ part as a sentence word (like "Parsley sage rosemary and thyme.").
  • 冴えないノンフィクションの結末 = the ending of a boring/uninteresting/mediocre non-fiction story
  • ~を握っている = to have control/discretion over ~
  • 握っているお前: 握っている modifies お前 (this is perfectly fine in Japanese), and お前 is the person who is doing the action of 握る.
  • So how about the 唐突に始まる that modifies お前, given the context (or if you want more you could check the OP for the rest of the lyrics), what meaning should I get from "you, who is suddenly beginning", or perhaps, "you, for whom something is suddenly beginning"? Is he beginning telling his/her story? Or is something else (implicit) beginning for him/her? – Kennedy Ryan Aug 31 '17 at 7:18
  • @KennedyRyan Ah, 唐突に始まる modifies お前の昔話 as a whole, not お前 alone. What suddenly started is the 昔話. If you're interested see the discussion here. – naruto Aug 31 '17 at 7:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.