In my grammar reference book the pattern is layed out like this:

• [高い/高かった] + ほうが + いAdjective + より...
  • [静かな/静かだった] + ほうが + なAdjective + より...

This indicates to me that I could say, for example,

男としては、強いほうが弱いよりいいです

(because both 強い and 弱い are いadjectives), but could I use this pattern with both an い and a な adjective?

Many thanks.

Yes, of course you can:

賢い{かしこい}ほうがバカより望ましい{のぞましい}です。

簡単{かんたん}なほうがそんな紛らわしい{まぎらわしい}よりいいと思います。

I believe the example of your own that you've provided sounds not very natural.

Here's an excerpt from a great book I encourage everyone to buy called どんな時どう使う日本語表現文型辞典, published by ALC, with many great, easy to understand examples and covering JLPT from 1級 to 4級.

【より~のほう】

㊀ デパートの品物よりスーパーの品物の方が安い。

㋥ 私は海より山の方が好きです。

㊂ 私は日本酒よりビールの方をよく飲みます。

㊃ この店は、日曜日より月曜日や火曜日の方がお客さんが多いです。

㊄ 一人で食べるより、みんなと一緒に食べる方が楽しいです。

㊅ 東京駅に行くとき、バスで行くより電車で行く方が早いです。

1)「N1よりN2の方」の形で二つのもの(N1とN2)を取り上げて比べ、一方(N2の方)が程度が上(下)であると言いたいときに使う。否定の形では言わないのが普通である。

◆×りんごよりみかんの方が大きくない。

2)㊄ ㊅ のように、名詞以外につく形もある。

As the second explanation shows us, this structure also appends to forms other than nouns, as in example 5) and 6).

To sum it up for you: yes, you could use with both i- and na-adjectives and even uses verbs if you wanted to.

• This answer makes no sense at all. You quoted six examples from some book, not even a single one containing an adjective and at the end you draw a conclusion that OP can use a construction with both I-adjectives and na-adjectives. – macraf Aug 31 '17 at 19:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.