For full context see here: https://www.docdroid.net/oraqSdS/img-20170830-0001-new.pdf

The sentence is from 21-22: 聖人君子か大うそつきか、または自分がエラーをしていることに気が付いていないか、忘れてしまっている一番困ったひとかもしれない

First, I wouldn't have a problem with this sentence if the bold かもしれない was か+も+知れない, but since the kanji is lacking I guess it is just かもしれない indicating that the speaker feels very unsure about smthg..

I interprete the か after 大うそつきか etc. as the か marking an indirect question. Since there is no question word like なに どう etc I'd expect かどうか but there already was the case that かどうか wasn't used and instead just か has been applied (I asked about this here and I was told that it was perfectly normal that this could happen).

Now, here my translation: "It could be a perfect person or a big liar, or someone who doesn't notice the mistakes he makes himself, or a person who is troubled by forgetting (forgetfulness?) the most."

What's also confusing me is that 困ったひとかもしれない lacks another か between かもしれない and ひと. I'd say that 困った人 also belongs to this long chain of indirect questions. I've never learnt that the last part of such a chain could omit its か. But maybe I got it wrong in the first place, thats why Im asking ^^

聖人君子大うそつき、または自分がエラーをしていることに気が付いていない、忘れてしまっている一番困ったひとかもしれない。

These か's mean "or".
かもしれない means "might be".

The basic construction of this sentence is:

AかBか、またはCか、Dかもしれない。"It might be A, B, C, or D."

A = 聖人君子 a perfect person
B = 大うそつき a big liar
C = 自分がエラーをしていることに気が付いていない
(he) hasn't noticed that he made mistakes
D = (自分がエラーをしていることを)忘れてしまっている一番困ったひと
The most troublesome/hopeless person who has forgotten that he made mistakes

「忘れてしまっている」 is a relative clause modifying 「(一番困った)人」.
The object of 「忘れてしまっている」 is 「自分がエラーをしていること」. "Has forgotten that he made mistakes."

"It could be a perfect person, a big liar, or someone who doesn't notice that he made mistakes, or the most troublesome/hopeless person who has forgotten that he made mistakes."

I think it could also be interpreted this way:

AかBか、またはCかもしれない。"It might be A, B, or C."

A = 聖人君子 a perfect person
B = 大うそつき a big liar
C = 自分がエラーをしていることに気が付いていないか、忘れてしまっている一番困ったひと
The most troublesome/hopeless person who hasn't noticed or has forgotten that he made mistakes.

「自分がエラーをしていることに気が付いていないか、忘れてしまっている」 is a long relative clause modifying 「(一番困った)人」.

"It could be a perfect person, a big liar, or the most troublesome/hopeless person who doesn't notice or has forgotten that he made mistakes."

I don't know where to start, so it'll be a cluster of many answers, which will hopefully lead you on the right path.

First of all, as for your translation, there is a certain nuance of the word [忘]{わす}れる I'd like to point out:

わす・れる【忘れる】

何かに熱中してうっかり気がつかずにいる。

「美しさに我を―・れる」「時のたつのを―・れる」「寝食を―・れて働く」

Source: デジタル大辞泉

With this in mind, I believe the correct translation should be as follows:

They may be a perfect person, or a big liar, they may not see the mistakes they make themself or they may lose themself completely in their own problems.

As for かもしれない being this way, not written かも[知]{し}れない, I believe it's not uncommon practice to omit kanji.

Secondly, the grammar structure used in this phrase is bunch of thrown in suggestions, bound with the か particle, which end with the final guessing structure かもしれない.

Lastly, I don't think final part needs か before かもしれない, since it's already there. To follow up on this, I've always tried to reverse-engineer grammar structures like this one to better understand their meaning. I like to think about this one this way: "...I couldn't know better, X may also be the case".

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, I'll be waiting in the comment section. o/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.