For full context, see here: https://www.docdroid.net/oraqSdS/img-20170830-0001-new.pdf

The following sentence is taken from Line 11-13: 奇数番号は記憶型かどうか調べるもので、丸が4つ以上ある人は「ぼんやり」、6つ以上あったら「かなりぼんやり」である。

First, I’m a bit puzzled on this もので. Is it particle も + ので, or もの + (の中)で? Second, I don’t know whatsoever with this まる and the numbers. I’ve no idea what they are talking about. Third, I can’t integrate 「ぼんやり」 and 「かなりぼんやり」 , which is also because I’m lacking context (See First and Second).

However, here’s my attempt at full translation. „Concerning a series of odd digits, out of the search results about which type of memory, the people where the circle is 4 and upwards (it is) ‘absentminded’, and when it is 6 ‘fairly absentminded’.

I’m basically clueless what the text is talking about here xD

• I suppose someone else wants to know the definition of "記憶型". – user25382 Aug 30 '17 at 15:04
    I assume that this is a psychological test and the odd numbers items are prepared for making sure if your way of thinking is "記憶型"(Rote type?) or other. Then, if you circled in more than or equals to 4 items you are an absent-minded type and if you circled in more than or equals to 6 items you are fairly an absent-minded type. – user25382 Aug 30 '17 at 15:21
  • Ahhh, thanks, yeah I think I got it now! :) – Narktor Aug 30 '17 at 15:39
  • No worries.I hope someone else helps to clear your grammar question out. – user25382 Aug 30 '17 at 15:43
    @Tommy Thanks for the comment. I also think your interpretation and explanation are correct. Probably you were not in luck. Somebody scrolling up and down, then mis-downvoted. Or, the useage of "もので" can be abstract, so it seemed to have been different than what they thought.haha, we may have many things in common! – user25382 Aug 31 '17 at 2:31

That "もので" is a a construction that indicates a reason/cause. You could roughly translate it as "because of - for that reason".

The construction is Verb (dict) + もので, and you can think of it as a conjunctive particle that indicates a reason or a cause. You can find more explanations and examples at this link.

This being said, you can translate your sentence as:

The odd numbers are what determines whether (the person) is a "memory type" or not, and (because of that) people with 4 or more circles are "absent-minded" while people with more than 6 are "quite absent-minded".

Now some things to be noticed:

1. I'm not sure what a good translation of 記憶型 could be here. Looking at your link it seems that it is one between two types of personalities (記憶、注意) described in some research. Here I decided just to leave it as "memory type".
  2. Without more context, it is indeed difficult to judge what those 丸 refer to. However, it seems logical that since we are talking of some personality test and "odd numbers", this probably refers to circling or anyway selecting certain answers. How many will determine the type of personality, absent-minded or quite absent-minded. Notice also that 丸 is what Japanese people commonly use to select "correct" answers in test or in general making selections depending on the context (but I suppose you know about the まる/ばつ convention already).
  3. The above is not a literal translation of course but I think it's not what you are asking here. It seems to me the main thing was the もので and the general idea of what's going on.

Personal interpretation

Since I'm not sure if what follows is actually true, do not consider it as part of the answer but rather as an intellectual speculation. The answer ended two lines above.

Since you try to break down that もので,I wonder if that もの comes simply from 物 and で isn't just です that, since it's connecting two sentences, simply becomes で. I mean, I wonder if this construction isn't somehow equivalent or anyway related to something like: 何々。。。Vd物であり、何々。。。 which is literally saying that a certain thing is "something that does V", and I guess you would expect the next sentence to explain some consequence of that. Then over time this became the standard construction もので discussed above.

• Would the down-voter care to explain why he/she thinks this answer is not correct? – Tommy Aug 31 '17 at 1:31
    Thanks, that thing about もので fits perfectly fine I think and it will help me in future texts as well! :) – Narktor Aug 31 '17 at 6:01
  • Interpreting もので as reason or cause is not wrong but it's a little too much specifying the meaning. To me, it just connects two clauses. – user4092 Aug 31 '17 at 8:29
  • I don't think to down-vote this, but I feel uncomfortable when I see ✕ is spelled as 罰. I thought it is spelled as バツ, the katakana. – user1118 Aug 31 '17 at 11:23
    @Tommy: Thanks for the reply. I didn't think you meant "✗=罰." And I think you're correct that ☓ comes from 罰, originally. However, it is a very funny thing, but 丸 is okay for me and 罰 isn't. Funny, isn't it? – user1118 Aug 31 '17 at 11:34

マル (◯)="yes"

バツ(✕)="No"

The questionnaire is intended to check the two types of "making mistakes": "easy-to-forget and making mistakes type" and "carelessly-making-mistakes type." The odd number questions are what determines whether you are an "easy-to-forget type" or not. If you mark 4 or more "yes," you are regarded as an "absent-minded" person. If you mark 6 or more "yes," you are a "quite absent-minded" person. The even number questions are for "carelessly-making-mistakes type."

調べる もの で=調べる 質問 で=調べる 質問 であり、

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.