I was looking for improvements on my vocabulary and then I saw the word telephone which accordinly to Genki series is でんわ, but let's suppose that I want to say This telephone is white, is gramatically correct to say このでんわはしろです.

Can I say both は and わ? Sounding something like kono denwa wa shiro desu? Or should I choose another word (if there is one) to replace でんわ to not mess up the noun with the particle?

I think it's normal, you can repeat wa sound twice in a row and it's ok, the same is for ga "manga ga hoshii" and probably most sounds. Even in portuguese that happens as well "ele está na caMA MAs não quer levantar"... – Felipe Oliveira Aug 29 '17 at 17:39

You would still pronounce it wa. You will not have to change the reading of the は particle just because a noun ends in わ. Here's another example:

Excuse me, but this conversation is boring.

すみません、この会話{かいわ}はつまらないです。

In Japanese, repeated sounds like this are not uncommon, and should not be a reason for concern.

• Well I was actually thinking about changing the noun telephone but not the particle は. But now I know that there is no problem repeating the wa sound, although just for academic purposes, are there any other words for telephone? – João Brgai Aug 29 '17 at 17:44
    @JoãoBrgai Not really. Some people use けいたい, but that's short for けいたいでんわ, or mobile phone. Saying けいたい is like saying mobile in English. – ajsmart Aug 29 '17 at 17:45
    @JoãoBrgai, でんわ works for any kind of telephone, land-lines and cell-phones alike. けいたいでんわ is a mobile phone, never a land line. けいたい is the same, but faster to say. Most of the time, however, you'll hear でんわ, but that's just my opinion. – ajsmart Aug 29 '17 at 17:52
    What about 3 in a row: この会話はワクワク! – istrasci Aug 29 '17 at 20:11
  • Or even 三日掛かるか? – bcloutier Aug 29 '17 at 23:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.