This question has been on my mind since I've watched SEGA's announcement the other day about Yakuza's second installment getting a remake. The original title of the game is [龍]{りゅう}が[如]{ごと}く, meaning "like a dragon." I've been wondering, how would the sense of the phrase change if in the place of ~が[如]{ごと}く I'd insert の[様]{よう}に, making it [龍]{りゅう}の[様]{よう}に? Now that I think about it, would it mean "having the appearance of a dragon"? Also, how would the sense of the phrase be different with other ways to express similarity?

• It just sounds archaic. – user4092 Aug 30 '17 at 8:51

I would say みたい is a little different because that's more along the lines of 'looks like', 'seems like', giving an opinion based on observation.

のように is more descriptive, emphasizing actual commonality with the object of comparison.

To be honest I've never consciously come across 如く before in daily Japanese life, and I've lived in japan for 1 plus years and am working in a Japanese company as a kind of translator(Bridge SE) - so I'd agree with the person above that its probably just an archaic version of のように - to make stuff like game titles sound a bit cooler

• This answer doesn't deserve downvotes, I think. – user4092 Sep 13 '17 at 9:32
  • Don't understand why that got downvoted, interested in hearing why though (and obviously being corrected if I've got something factually wrong) if anyone would like to do that – Pootan Sep 13 '17 at 13:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.