So, I was talking to this girl about how I like japan and she asked me that:

日本にきていやな思いとか一いつもしなかった?

There are somethings I don't get, first the parsing...

日本にきて

いやな思いとか

一いつもしなかった?

Is my parsing correct?

Now for the meanings I don't get:

いやな思い Is this the いや that means negative/bad? so a bad feeling or bad thought?

一いつも I Just don't get why there is a 一 before いつも

My full attempt in translating is

Did you have any bad impressions after coming to Japan?

Even if my attempt is correct, can you help me clear these points?

Thank you!

一いつも -- 「 [一]{ひと}つも」の間違いじゃないですかね・・ – Chocolate Aug 25 '17 at 23:55

Did you copy it as it was?

日本にきていやな思いとか一いつもしなかった?

The before いつも is a kanji 一【いち】, not a long vowel marker or a dash. You can confirm it by copying it to somewhere else and apply some serif font. While a dash or a long vowel marker can be typed just by pressing -, the kanji 一 is unlikely to appear by a simple mistype.

So I think she really wanted the kanji 一. I think it's a typo for 一つも【ひとつも】 ("even once"). Maybe she typed 1つも first, and then tried to correct it to 一つも.

日本にきていやな思いとかひとつもしなかった?
So, after coming to Japan, you did not experience bad things even once?

• ohhh that has to be it! Thanks a lot, makes sense! – Felipe Oliveira Aug 27 '17 at 17:42

Are you texting the message with a girl, right? I guess 一 is mystyped with いつも. Parsing aside I don't think that no mistakes in translation. I think 嫌な思いをする means that you have met a thing which makes you feel unpleasant. So, she asked if you had encountered any unpleasant, bad or strange things .

• Yes, it's through instant text messages, so probably a typo then. Why would she use する and not ある? In this case? – Felipe Oliveira Aug 25 '17 at 21:28
  • @FelipeOliveira 〜な思いをする means that you have an experience makes you have some feelings. It's a little bit different than just having some feelings. When you met a thing, you felt bad. – user25382 Aug 25 '17 at 21:39
    〜がある is normally used to describe there is something. It's more concrete than to do 〜をする. – user25382 Aug 25 '17 at 21:53
    I believe she mistyped 一つも "not a single" as opposed to いつも. It makes more sense in the context. – Jimmy Aug 25 '17 at 23:13
    思いをする you go thorough 思いがある 思いがある means have a strong towards something. This time she asked if you had gone through having a bad feeling. have a thought normally means have an idea. So, it means 考えがある。 – user25382 Aug 25 '17 at 23:58

嫌{いや}な思{おも}いをする

This is a set phrase whose meaning is explained in other answers.

In this phrase, as you know, 嫌な is an adjective meaning unpleasant, 思い is a noun meaning feelings, emotion, sentiment or experience ​and する means to feel or to experience.

As for 思い, please look it up in jisho.org here, then you'll find interesting meanings words related to 思い, also look up 思{おも}い出{で} here.

The antonym of the phrase 嫌な思いをする is 良い思いをする. "良い" is normally pronounced as "よい", but it is usually pronounced as "いい" in this phrase.

"日本でいい思いをしてください。 I hope you will experience pleasant feelings/things in Japan", and "良い思い出をたくさん作ってください。 Please make a lot of good memories while staying in Japan".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.