The conjugation rules for present-potential and past verb forms are well-documented online, but there doesn't seem to be as much information about past-potential conjugations.

If we can conjugate the present-potential form of a verb like this:

• 五段
    • → 飲める
    • ます → 飲ます
    • ない → 飲ない
    • ません → 飲ません
  • 一段
    • 食べる → 食べられ
    • 食べます → 食べられます
    • 食べない → 食べられない
    • 食べません → 食べられません
  • 来る
    • る → こられ
    • ます → こられます
    • ない → こられない
    • ません → こられません
  • する
    • る → でき
    • ます → できます
    • ない → できない
    • ません → できません

...then I'd imagine that the past-potential form could be conjugated as follows:

• 五段
    • 飲ん → 飲んでる
    • ました → 飲ました
    • なかった → 飲なかった
    • ませんでした → 飲ませんでした
  • 一段
    • 食べた → 食べられ
    • 食べました → 食べられました
    • 食べなかった → 食べられなかった
    • 食べませんでした → 食べられませんでした
  • 来る
    • た → こられ
    • ました → こられました
    • なかった → こられなかった
    • ませんでした → こられませんでした
  • する
    • た → でき
    • ました → できました
    • なかった → できなかった
    • ませんでした → できませんでした

I came across this page during my searches, and it seems to back up how I think that these conjugations should work (though it doesn't mention the rules for する or 来る).

Are the examples I've given above correct?

(Bonus question: Are past-potential conjugations uncommon/not actually used? I'm trying to understand why they don't seem to be mentioned as often as the other variations are.)

It's not conjugated like that, but it's an easy mistake to make :)

The mistake you made was trying to convert a past tense word into a past potential word, when you have to do the reverse to make it work.

That's to say, you need to convert a verb to its potential form and then turn that into its past.

食べる → 食べられる → 食べられた

飲む → 飲める → 飲めた

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.