The context is nothing of special: two girls are talking about a magician that in the past was famous and well renowned, but not anymore in the present days.

One of them tell to the other one:

一時期、世間でもてはやされてはいました。しかし彼女の魔法が長く通用するはずもなかった

Maybe is (from shikashi, because the previous part it's clear):

"But was only a matter of time before her magic lose interest among the people. (the audience).

"長く通用する" is clear (Adv+Suru Vrb), it's about "はずもなかった" that I have perplexities.

Thk U in advance.

I'd translate it to "of course / as expected, there's no way her magic can be penetrable for long" – user4092 Aug 25 '17 at 2:37
  • @user4092 I am wondering if I could ask "はずもなかった" is as strong as "はずがなかった". I mean no way describes almost impossible to me. I thought はずもなかった describes there was some way that the magician could have make it. – user25382 Aug 25 '17 at 21:46

I'd translate; She had been very popular for some time in the past, but her magic would not have been widely acclaimed among people for a long time.

はずもなかった implies it could have happened but it didn't happen.

So, the famous magician had the possibility/scenario to be a widely acclaimed magician, but it didn't happen.

In other way, the famous magician might have been a very popular magician, but it isn't.

はずもない is also discussed here. はずもない、はずはない、はずがない. Difference and meaning

Subjunctive mood. https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/134926/would-have-done/136965#136965

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.