I was watching the first episode of Terrace House and got confused at something at the beginning.

1"僕は筧さんがずっと一途に思われてたじゃないですか"

2"ああいうのとかが好きでした"

In the show a presenter is asked if anyone on the previous series of the show left an impression on him and he responds with 1 and 2. In 1, I'm having trouble understanding the sentence due to the use of the 思われる form and the が particle used with that.

Also in 2, is the の in ああいうのとか the placeholder の, as in the same の as 食べたのはこれです?

Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you very much in advance!!

• 思われる, as I hope you know, has two completely different meanings. Without more context or explanation of the scene, however, even I (native speaker) could not tell which meaning/form it is being used for here. – l'électeur Aug 23 '17 at 16:05
  • This is a link to the script of the episode The part im asking about is from 00:01:44,350 to 00:01:54,190, and is number 39 in the script – lee moran Aug 23 '17 at 17:38

It's more natural to interpret 思われる as the respectful form here.

You correctly understand の and ああいうの (one like that) indicates how 筧さんがずっと一途に思われていた (Kakei-san was always faithful).

The overall structure is 僕は…ああいうの とか が 好きでした: "I liked (one like) that or other things" with ああいうの explained as 筧さんが…じゃないですか "Kakei-san was always faithful, right?"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.