According to the dictionary on my MacBook Pro, ありあまる means "be [have*] more than enough". I was thinking about the song by ゲスの極み乙女:ロマンスがありあまる when I first heard the word/expression.

The question boils down to if I can use ありあまる as a positive expression

ロマンスがありあまる I have lots of romance, and that is a good thing

or a negative expression

ロマンスがありあまる I am fed of with romance, and that is a bad thing

Or maybe it is context dependent?
The dictionary also provides me with two examples

▸ 精力が有り余っている have too much [an excess of] energy.

▸ 彼には有り余るほどの金がある He has more money than he can spend.

But I still do not know if they are meant as negative or positive.

I don't think the English expressions, "too many," "too much," and "more than he can spend", are negative, grammatically. I believe that they are affirmative expressions.

However, I agree that they would mean something that has a bad connotation.In other words, a negative connotation. And I believe that you're asking about this point. In that case, I'd say, "It depends on the context."

A "精力がありあまっている" guy may have a lot of girlfriends and tend to have immoral love affairs. So I think it would mean something bad, when I think of the moral.

彼は精力がありあまっていて生き生きしている。実にうらやましい。

In this sentence, however, the writer apparently envies him. So they probably think that it's a good thing for him or for them.

彼には有り余るほどの金がある。

In this case, I envy him, and I personally don't think it's bad thing to be rich for him.

In short, it depends on the context and you cannot decide which grammatically.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.