For full context, see here: https://www.docdroid.net/5vuuiCe/img-20170821-0002-new.pdf

The sentence in question (last line): 今、カラオケは単なる機械ではなく、日本が世界中に誇る文化なのである

First, my attempt at translation: "Now, Karaoke is not (just) a mere machine and japan is a culture holding proud in the world."

I just translated the sentence as if なの wasn't present in the respective phrase because I don't know what to with it here. I also must say that I wonder wether my interpretation of the second part of this sentence ("Japan is...") is correct at all. It seems a bit far fetched to me to make Karaoke representative of the whole japanese culture xD At least this sentence sounds to me like it does so...^^ That said, maybe japanese people themselves think so. I don't know, I don't have that much insight into japanese people's heads :D

The なの is just a case of the "explanatory の" which adds a slight explanatory nuance to the sentence but doesn't directly affect the meaning much, so it's fine to leave it out in the translation.

However, I think you're interpreting the grammar of the rest of the sentence a little wrong. The subject (topic) of the second part of the sentence isn't Japan - it's still カラオケ, the same topic established in the first half of the sentence. So it can be rephrased as カラオケは日本が世界中に誇る文化なのである。

日本が世界中に誇る is a relative clause modifying 文化, so the whole thing means something like "Nowadays, karaoke is not a mere machine, but a culture for Japan to proudly display to the whole world."

• Even though の is an explanatory here grammatically (のである), it is also a part of 強調構文 (emphatic construction) なのである (follows a noun phrase) meaning "surely is" (なの - assertion, である - formal copula). JMDict has numerous examples of its usage tangorin.com/general/… The translation should be close to "Undoubtedly Japan is proud of its culture spread around the world and today karaoke box is not simply a boombox (but a whole culture on its own - implied)". – Nutkin Aug 24 '17 at 4:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.