I know what "no da" and "n da" are for. When I hear the question something like "nani wo shite iru no?" from a friend, I wonder: can the question "nani wo shite iru n da?" be used instead? Do they mean exactly the same meaning or is there any difference in connotation?

or

doko e iku no? --> doko e iku n da?

In other words, can "(na) no?" always be replaced with "(na) n da?" in a question when talking to friends? Will this soound a bit more direct and masculine?

In other words, can "(na) no?" always be replaced with "(na) n da?" in a question when talking to friends? Will this sound a bit more direct and masculine?

Yes. Exactly. It sounds a bit more direct and masculine.

If you are a man, you can almost always exchange each other.

On the other hand, if you are a woman, you had better not replace "(na) no?" with "(na) n da?". It sounds weird.

• it sounds a bit more indirect and masculine. --> why indirect? you meant more direct rather? – Ko32mo Aug 22 '17 at 7:52
  • Oops! Sorry. I made a mistake. It's typo for "direct." I'll edit this answer. Thank you for letting me know! – user1118 Aug 22 '17 at 9:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.