So these lyrics are from a song and the official translation I found was "Today's homework is about my basic self". I have a couple of problems with this namely that 無個性 is made up of 無 meaning nothing, and 個性 meaning individuality. So what I get from that is 無個性 should be translated as "Lack of personality". こと means "mater of" saying this is a matter of 僕の (my) personality or as I remake it "Matter of the lack of being myself". Using this, if I am correct shouldn't the translation be along the lines of "Today's homework is about the lack of being myself/ my individuality"? So to sum up is 1.) My translation correct and 2.) Did I make any mistakes in the above comments? 3.) What exactly does 「な」 mean as it is used in 本日の宿題は 無個性な僕のこと」

1.) Is my translation correct?

Exactly!

2.) Did I make any mistakes in the above comments?

No.

3.) What exactly does 「な」 mean as it is used in 本日の宿題は 無個性な僕のこと」?

無個性 is a noun. 無個性な is a na-adjective.

豊富 (abundance) is a noun. 豊富な (abundant) is a na-adjective.

有名 (fame) is a noun. 有名な (famous) is a na-adjective.

Therefore, "na" is the na-adjective making particle.

I think your interpretation of 無個性 is generally correct, as that is an adjective that means something along the lines of "someone who has a lack of individuality/personality" (see this). The な is because this word is being treated as a "na-adjective", just like words such as 素敵 and 立派 can be.

However I think your translation, while close, is a little bit off. I believe the grammar implies something more like this:

Today's homework is about me, who has a complete lack of individuality"

By the way, doing a google search with a portion of this translation, I found someone saying "me, who has no personality" this which is another good translation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.