From this article:

NHKは6月〜7月、18歳と19歳の人に平和についてどう考えているか(*)聞きました。
Between June and July NHK asked 18 and 19 year olds what they thought about peace.
この日を知っているか聞くと、...
When they were asked if they knew this date ...

I don't understand why と is absent in the place I marked (*) in the first sentence, but is required in the second sentence.

I thought I was happy with the idea of embedded questions with verbs like 知る that don't use と, but I'm a bit confused about when I should use と with verbs where it can be used.

How would the meanings of both sentences change with and without と?

my gut feeling is that it's a difference between a direct quote or not. 平和についてどう考えているか is probably a summary of the actual question not the question itself. – A.Ellett Aug 16 '17 at 23:10

The version without と only functions as a kind of direct indirect quote, as the comment says. On the other hand, the one with と can be either direct or indirect.

In this specific example, both seem an indirect quote. In that sense, it doesn't change either way.

• Maybe I misunderstand, but your answer seems to contradict itself. You say that the version without と can only be direct, but then say that both sentences seem to be indirect. Could you please clarify? Thanks. – user3856370 Aug 17 '17 at 18:17
  • Oops, you're right. – user4092 Aug 17 '17 at 21:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.