I've encountered sentences like this several times:

たしかに村での戦闘の直接の原因はその……ギアが不時着したことかもしれない

The literal translation would be: "Certainly, the direct cause of the battle in the village might be......that Gear that made an emergency landing". But it doesn't make sense. It's either "certainly" or "might be". How should I translate this?

It would help a lot if you could provide some context. At least a few sentences before/after would be great. – Cong Hui Aug 16 '17 at 13:51
    How does that not make sense? Don't you say "There is certainly a possibility that ~~." in your language? Is that certain or just possible? – l'électeur Aug 16 '17 at 14:45

「確かに」 can be used (often in colloquial speech) to mean "It is true that..., (but...)" (≂「確かに~だけれど...」) "You're right, ..." "You may be right, ..." "Indeed, ..." (≂「あぁ、確かに、...」「なるほど、...」) or "Now that you mention it..." (≂「確かに、言われてみれば(その通り)、...」)

たしかに村での戦闘の直接の原因はその……ギアが不時着したことかもしれない

"You're right, / Now that you mention it, / It is true that the direct cause of the battle in the village might be......that Gear made an emergency landing."

Though it doesn't make sense in English, but it is used in Japanese. I think it is used when a speaker has a confidence in the guess.

For example, 確かに彼はそう言ったかもしれない.

And I found some examples in a dictionary, which are 確かにいるかも知れないな(Certainly there might), 確かに、顔は隠せるかもしれない(It might indeed be possible to cover my face.).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.