According to Wikipedia this symbol 亏 is a Japanese kanji.

Jisho returns no results. Does anyone know what it means?

  • 2
    Could you share the link that shows 亏 is a Japanese character? If you go to Goo you'll find an explanation (in Japanese) of it's meaning and you'll find that it's only listed as a Chinese character (in fact a search of Goo shows no results in Japanese). – A.Ellett Aug 14 '17 at 21:22
  • If you roll down, there is a title which says Japanese, Kanji 亏, (uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji) This term needs a translation to English. Readings On: う (u) Kun: かける (kakeru) en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E4%BA%8F – Pablo Aug 14 '17 at 21:27
  • 1
    My desk copy of 漢和中辞典 lists about 9500 characters. 亏 is not listed there. 9500 is certainly not an exhaustive listing of all characters ever used in Japan, but its lack of an entry there or in Goo certainly suggests this is quite an exceptional character. I wonder where wikitionary got its information. Curiosity: why the interest in this character? – A.Ellett Aug 14 '17 at 21:36
  • 1
    It's not Japanese indeed, it's a simplification of 虧 used in Chinese. I posted an answer below. – Tommy Aug 15 '17 at 0:20

It is Chinese. 亏 is pronounced kuī (first tone), and it is a simplification of 虧 which I think you can actually also find in Japanese dictionaries and means to lower/to decrease or to lack (like 欠{か}ける). It also means "to wane" (speaking of the moon). Look here for more.

A sample sentence from the first link:

我亏了二百元 = 私は200元損をした = I lost 200 yuan (Chinese currency).

Still I'm interested in seeing the wiki page stating it's Japanese, it might be a very uncommon if ever used and one should check a more comprehensive dictionary like the 大漢和辞典.

| improve this answer | |
  • I think Wiktionary got the readings from Unihan. Don't know if there are any rules about which variants of hyōgai kanji to use in Japanese but my experience is that they use either traditional or shinjitai, not simplified Chinese variants. – siikamiika Aug 15 '17 at 9:28

I don't think it's a Japanese kanji. It's a Chinese character.

号 may be a Japanese kanji you were looking for. Or it might be a confusion with 云う(いう)(iu) .

Are you sure that it was really 亏 that you saw in Wikipedia? :)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.