I'm having trouble translating this sentence (from the manga Banana Fish, if anyone knows that awesome series):

もしオレにあったとしても… オレはそんなものほしいと思ったことは1度だってない!!

The part I'm having trouble with is オレにあった, I can't figure out which verb あった is supposed to be/what it means...

As for the second part, I think it means something like "I've never wanted something like that, not even once"--but if I'm wrong please correct!

Would you like to add some context to the question? – snailcar Aug 13 '17 at 23:47
    多分これですよね → tweez.net/bananafish_bot/?p=3「”才能がある”とおまえは言ったな オレは普通の人間とは違う――オレには持たざる者の気持ちがわからないと――じゃあおまえはオレの気持ちがわかるのか? 才能なんて――そんなもの…もしオレにあったとしても…オレはそんなものほしいと思ったことは1度だってない!! – Chocolate Aug 14 '17 at 0:47

あった is the past tense form of the verb ある (有る), literally "exists".

「(Somethingが)オレにある」 literally means "(Something) exists in me", "There is (something) in me", i.e. "I have (something)".

「(もし)~~としても」 expresses hypothetical condition. "Even if~~"

So 「(~~が)オレにあったとしても」 means "even if I had ~~".

And according to this page, the whole sentence goes:

才能なんて――そんなもの…もしオレにあったとしても…オレはそんなものほしいと思ったことは1度だってない!!

The first half literally says "Talent... even if I had a thing like that..."
→ "Even if I had a talent, ..." "Even if I was talented, ..."

As for the second part, I think it means something like "I've never wanted something like that, not even once"--but if I'm wrong please correct!

You're correct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.