I just read in a book 暑中休暇 and wondered the difference with the three others, but there is nothing on Google that really explains what the nuance is.

I think 夏休み is like the most general, 暑中休暇 maybe is the most literary (?), and I've only seen the others in 新聞s.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone could give me a real explanation on how to use the four words properly, and if there are english equivalents.

Thanks!

• related, maybe? japanese.stackexchange.com/a/40014/9831
    – chocolate
    Commented Aug 13, 2017 at 17:22
  • I'm really confused about what you're asking. Is 暑中休暇 the title of a book? From the way you wrote it, that's what it looks like. But, I suspect you mean something else. Are you asking about different ways to say "summer break" and the differences between those expressions? If so, please try to be a bit more explicit.
    – A.Ellett
    Commented Aug 13, 2017 at 17:23
  • Well I don't know how I could be more clear, I saw this word in "kokoro" (natsume soseki), a part of the sentence is : 暑中休暇を利用して海水浴に行った友達 [...]. Anyway, I was just asking what the difference between the four is
    – Tchang
    Commented Aug 13, 2017 at 17:35

1 Answer 1

• 夏季休暇 and 夏期休暇 are both common and sound formal. The difference between 夏季 and 夏期 is often not important, but since the kanji 季 means season and the kanji 期 means period, 夏季 tends to be used when the hot climate is important. See: 夏季休暇? 夏期休暇?
  • 夏休み is another very common word, and is relatively colloquial. 夏休み is the default word at elementary school, and it's also common among adults in casual speech.
  • 暑中休暇 is instantly understandable, but uncommon as a set phrase. Maybe some companies are using this term.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .