I know ばか literally means "stupid/idiot" but i remember a scene when i was re-watching naruto. the context is:

"sarutobi asuma just got news that his close skilled friend (old comrade of him) was killed by akatsuki, he was very shocked and could not believe such a very strong, skilled friend was killed easily by akatsuki and then he said 'ばかな! bla bla bla'." i am sorry i can't fully provide what he said because my limited japanese skill.

I dont know equivalent of that word in english in the context above, maybe " huh, how can?". correct me if i am wrong.

so when is 'ばかな' used other than to insult people? and is it okay to say it to close friend (older) as expression?

• In that context, at least, I think he was probably saying "Foolish!" or something... I would need more of the Japanese context. – knowledge_is_power Aug 11 '17 at 18:09

"Impossible!"

"I can't believe it!"

"No way!"

These can be expressed with "ばかな!".

• thats all? and is it okay to say it to older people? – Kakashi Aug 11 '17 at 18:15
  • Okay, in that case, you may think the translation is "Sh**!" You should not use it in a formal setting. – user1118 Aug 11 '17 at 18:19
  • btw i just tried to translate "impossible" to japanese. it says "不可能". is it interchangeable with ばかな or was meant for another purpose? – Kakashi Aug 11 '17 at 18:27
  • 不可能 is mostly used in a formal sentence. For example, "It is impossible for North Korea to use a nuclear weapon actually." 北朝鮮が実際に核兵器を使うのは不可能だ。ばかな is used in a colloquial situation, so they are usually not interchangeable. – user1118 Aug 11 '17 at 18:31
    @Kakashi, be weary of one word translations. Sometimes, when multiple translations are given, the word you are trying to understand is often a mix of the two. – ajsmart Aug 11 '17 at 19:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.