After I made a speech (not in Japanese) a friend told me 「発表頑張り過ぎた」. I am struggling with this sentence and I cannot determine whether it is positive or negative. The way I spontaneously interpret it is:

For this speech, you did your best too much.

Which, of course, does not make any kind of sense. Was he trying to warn me that I tried too much, that the speech was not so good, not natural enough, etc.? Or is it just a simple well done-type of thing?

I would be interested in knowing the real meaning of this expression. (This is not a question about how to use 過ぎる grammatically speaking.)

I'm not a native speaker but will give my best shot at this one.

I think in this case a good translation which carries the nuance of the original statement is:

You really overdid the presentation!

I feel this can be interpreted in either a positive way (you did awesome!) or negative way (you did more than you really needed to!). I think you can only tell which from the context, which includes the intonation/expression of the person speaking this, and how hard you really did try.

If I didn't have any extra context, I would interpret this as meaning "you did a great job, but you did more than you really had to".

+1. 頑張りすぎ/やりすぎ is literally negative, but it can be positive when said as a sarcastic(?) joke. Whether he was smiling or not is important. – naruto Aug 11 '17 at 5:58
  • With no other context, I'd also guess that it was faint praise in the guise of a joke. – Cong Hui Aug 11 '17 at 6:41

I'm not native, but from my experience, 頑張り is pretty much always positive. I would think it means something like, "You did very well on this speech," so yes, just a simple well done, as you said. 過ぎる can just mean over, not necessarily "too much;" perhaps "You gave 110% on this" - you did more than your best - would be a closer translation. Again, I'm not native, so I hope someone else comes along to help you, but that's just my take on things.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.