The full sentence comes from the story of 力太郎.

Here it is:

「ばあさん や。この あか で にんぎょう を つくって みんべえ。」

I understand all the words except みんべえ, which I couldn't find in my dictionary.

Is this an old phrase?

Precisely for this reason, I rarely recommend children's stories for beginning learners. They just use so many "imaginary dialectal phrases" for role language. Look up みる and べい (not みん and べえ) separately in a better dictionary. I'm sure you are already familiar with this みる, though. – l'électeur Aug 10 '17 at 15:25

みんべえ is a collapsed pronunciation of みるべえ or みるべ.
る in verbs often contracts to ん in colloquial speech when followed by some words, eg:

[何]{なに}[見]{み}てのよ! → [何]{なに}[見]{み}てのよ!
バカなことすなよ。 → バカなことすなよ。

みる here is a subsidiary verb (補助動詞) and means "try doing~~".

The べえ is a prolonged べ. べ is a sentence-final particle (終助詞) mainly used in Tohoku dialect, meaning ~(だ)ろう, ~(で)しょう, ~(し)よう, ~(し)ましょう. Here it's used as old man's speech (老人語), a kind of role language (役割語) in fiction.

Examples of the use of べ:

いく。 ≂ 行こう。 / 行きましょう。
んだ。 ≂ そうだろう。 / そうでしょう。
どうすん。/ どうすっ。 (< どうすべ)≂ どうしよう? / どうしましょう。  

So the phrase in your example can be rephrased:

「つくってみんべえ。」 ≂ 「つくってみよう。 / つくってみましょう。」
"Let's try making~"

I think it's old or a different dialect for みよう。

I will explain my reasoning as follows.

As said by @l'électeur, let's break みんべえ up into みん and べい instead.

みん will break up into みる and ん.

みる (in this case, helps indicate to "try making")

+ 

ん (ねえ, which makes this 「見ん(見む )」 in Tohoku dialect according to @Chocolate)

+

べい(which can indicate invitation) = みんべい

In Tohoku dialect, 「みんべい」 is the contracted form of 「見る + べ」, meaning「みよう」。

ばあさんや。この あか で にんぎょう を つくって みよう

”Old woman. Let's try and make a doll from this dirt."

Story

• No explanation of べい? Or the ん? – l'électeur Aug 10 '17 at 15:28
    ん(negative verb ending.. -- その「ん」は、否定の「ん」じゃないですね・・ – Chocolate Aug 13 '17 at 3:44
    東北弁の「べ」と一緒に使うのなら、「ぬ」は「ねぇ」になるのでは・・?「見ねぇべ」って…。「する+べ」は「すんべ/すっべ」、「やる+べ」は「やんべ/やっべ」になって、「しない+べ」は「しねぇべ」、「やらない+べ」は「やらねぇべ/やんねぇべ」になるんだし・・ – Chocolate Aug 13 '17 at 6:10
    ^ 違うと思います・・・。 「みる+ん」は「みませんか」ではありません。「見る+ん(= negative ぬ )」 is 「見ん(見 )」 and means「見ない」. 「見る+ん(= volitional む )」 is 「見ん(見 )」 and means 「見よう / 見るだろう」. BUT in Tohoku dialect 「見る+negative ぬ+べ」 is 「みねえべ」 and means 「見ないだろう」. In Tohoku dialect, 「みべ」 is the contracted form of 「見 + べ」 (not 見る+negativeぬ+べ), meaning 「みよう」. – Chocolate Aug 13 '17 at 13:33
    @GabbyQuattrone I think what ǝʇɐןoɔoɥƆ explained was that because this sentence is spoken in Tohoku dialect, you should only consider its grammar in this case. According to Wikipedia, the Tohoku べ attaches to the 終止形 (=みる) but is changed to み due to 撥音化="ん-ification". In ǝʇɐןoɔoɥƆ's answer it's called "contraction". – siikamiika Aug 13 '17 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.