As far as I know ~になります means "something becomes ~" but when combined with a Noun it seems strange to me.

A common example: ご利用になりますか

Which is suppsoed to mean "Would you like to use it / make use of it" while the literal translation would be something like "does it become a usage".

My question is, why is ~になります used here and not some other potential form? Also, how does なる and する interchange? For example, what is the difference of 利用になる and 利用する?

In this case, なります is not used in the usual sense of "to become", but as a marker of politeness. To be precise, it is 尊敬語{そんけいご}, respectful language. It is typically used by combining: お or ご, followed by a noun, and end it by になります.

A correct example that supposes evolution:

自動車免許を取得して、15年になります。

Typically, it would be replaced by です or だ in more colloquial language.

This usage seems to confuse even native Japanese speakers, as I found a number of articles (e.g. 1, 2) that exhibit bad usages. ご利用になります seems quite common, given that it is present in all types of customer interactions:

お砂糖とミルクはご利用になりますか?

As well as the potential form なれます to indicate the possibility, similarly to 出来{でき}ます

Wi-Fiが無料でご利用になれます

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.