For full context go here.

I have problems with Sentence 3, Exercise 7:

いろいろ考えてみると、ふだんは田舎の自然を楽しみ、時には町の楽しみも味わうという生活が理想的なのではないだろうか。

I filled in the gaps as the accompanying solutions manual suggested it.

Here’s my attempt at translation:

When you try to think about it (=these various things?), don’t you think that in the normal case one enjoys the homelands nature, and at times the life, which is the towns pleasure and taste, are not ideal.

It definitely feels like somethings off. いろいろ in the first part seems to be in adverbial use, but I can’t figure out how to translate it in a meaningful way. Then, ふだんは, well I just improvised ^^ I have no idea, same goes for 時には. The worst thing is 楽しみも味わうという生活. も seems to indicate that たのしみ is a noun here, but あじわう definitely is a verb. In the end, the connection of the two words isn’t transparent for me.

Yeah, I just have major problems here ^^

• かんがえてみろと --->かんがえてみると typo – user1118 Aug 9 '17 at 22:31

It seems like you're having difficulty stitching the parts together.

I'd translate the parts of the sentence as follows:

ふだんは田舎の自然を楽しむ
to usually get to enjoy the nature of the countryside

時には町の楽しみも味わう
to occasionally get to appreciate even the joys of [being in] a town

...という生活が理想的だ
A life [consisting] of ... is ideal.

I'd take some liberty in translating the opening phrase

いろいろ考えてみると
If you think about it a bit....

And for the closing portion of the sentence:

...ではないだろうか
wouldn't it be ....

In this sentence, ふだんは and 時には contrast with one another. So, the speaker is saying that usually they wish to enjoy the countryside but occasionally get to spend time in a town (or city).

Putting it all together gives you:

If you think about it a bit, wouldn't it be the ideal life to generally enjoy the nature of the countryside and occasionally get to taste even the pleasures of city [life].

One point of possible confusion is how 楽しみ is being used. The first instance of 楽しみ is the continuative form of 楽しむ (to enjoy); the second instance is 楽しみ as a noun (joy, pleasure, delights).

The continuative form lets you know that this is just the first part of a multiple part idea being expressed,

"to enjoy something and ... [another verb] ...".

In this particular sentence,

"to enjoy something and taste something else.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.