I came across the following video when doing research:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlkoq4WZrTE&t=358s&authuser=1

At first I could not comprehend at all what was being said, but after listening carefully I could pick up a few words. Generally my listening comprehension isn't that bad, so this caught me off guard.

I think part of the reason is the sound recording and how the sensei in the video is speaking in a rough way.

But I think another aspect is how he is speaking in some dialect (Kyoto?).

So my two questions are:

1) Is the Japanese in this video easily understood by native Japanese speakers?

2) What regional dialect is being spoken, if any?

• I also can't understand what he said except some words. I think he scarcely opened his month. – Yuuichi Tam Aug 9 '17 at 16:41
  • Thanks for the comment. I wonder if the students there understood (: – Locksleyu Aug 9 '17 at 19:14

1) No. I can pick only a few words such as 極意, 回る (with the aid of the gesture), これは, 大概, 息を, これだけじゃ相手, ...

2) Definitely dialectal. Probably western Japan. Maybe Kyushu...? Oh, this person is from Matsuyama, Ehime in the Shikoku island.

I once learned that in martial arts, 先生 speaks sometimes with soft voices as a way to train listening. I had to raise my volume quite high to hear more-or-less "clearly" before I could distinguish that I could not understand anything because of the words and not because of a lack of volume and not being able to hear anything – psosuna Aug 9 '17 at 17:28
    Thanks naruto! Why do you think it is so hard to understand? sound quality, his intonation, or his accent? – Locksleyu Aug 9 '17 at 18:04
  • @Locksleyu Everything. I once lived in Ehime and generally comfortable with 伊予弁 spoken by younger people, but his way of speaking is really unclear. – naruto Aug 9 '17 at 23:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.