It's known that roughly, in most cases, we can think of using "wo" vs "ga" this way:

ga is used when action is abstract, mental, non-physical

otherwise, wo is used

Yet, these examples are in contradiction with that rule:

Something ga taberarenai.

Someone wo shitte iru.

Why is that? Are there any exceptions?

There are other examples as well I can remember for now.

The above first part presents itself as a quote... are you making it up or are you quoting something? – virmaior Aug 9 '17 at 9:43

As for your first example, potential forms of transitive verbs can take が instead of を. 食べられない (taberarenai) is the negative potential form of 食べる (taberu, "to eat"). が is used because no physical action has been taken yet when you say "can".

As for your second example, yes, 知る (shiru, "to learn; to get to know") is a transitive verb (a verb that takes を). 分かる (wakaru, "to understand") is a similar word but does not usually take を. I think this is something you have to remember and get used to.

• but is the rule I've mentioned correct? – Ko32mo Aug 9 '17 at 7:27
    @Ko32mo 好き (suki), 欲しい (hoshi) and such are actually adjectives. It's true that adjectives are sometimes used where English speakers normally use verbs. But I doubt it can be called a general rule. – naruto Aug 9 '17 at 7:35
  • but is the rule I've mentioned correct? – Ko32mo Aug 9 '17 at 7:41
    Incorrect. The rule you've mentioned is a severe oversimplification. – naruto Aug 9 '17 at 7:58
  • how about this japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/12795/… ? – Ko32mo Aug 11 '17 at 8:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.