What's the Japanese equivalent of the "Order!" shouted when a judge or speaker of the house gavels their assemblies?

According to this link they don't use a gavel in Japanese courthouses but as shown in the answer at least it's used in fiction detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1053992530 – siikamiika Aug 7 '17 at 3:43
    Oh, I didn't know gavels are actually used in the US. I always believed it's a purely fictional thing. – naruto Aug 7 '17 at 4:49
    @naruto すみません、that is amusing to hear for an American. We also have tv shows with (fake?) judges. – knowledge_is_power Aug 7 '17 at 5:21

静粛に【せいしゅくに】!

or "Be silent!" is the most appropriate answer, I think.

(Although it's from a game, 逆転裁判 【ぎゃくてんさいばん】, I don't believe it's far off from the real thing.)

This video is a live broadcast of the Diet in Japan.
The next line was told by the Speaker of the House to have the members be quiet. (Siikamiika tells us a more clear sound source here.)

ご静粛{せいしゅく}に願{ねが}います!

• I also found this other video, I think you can hear the word more clearly in it. Is there a difference between うるさい! and 静粛に願います, politeness-wise? :P – siikamiika Aug 7 '17 at 6:16
    @siikamiika: 「うるさい!」と「静粛に願います」とは静かにして欲しいという意味では同じですが、「うるさい!」と言ったあとには 喧嘩{けんか} がはじまる可能性があります。 – mackygoo Aug 7 '17 at 6:22
    Yes there is. うるさいis just literally "so noisy" with the implied meaning and tone of "Shut up!". 静粛に願いますis actually quite formal, having used a pretty advanced noun (静粛) and 願います; I'd translate this as "I ask for tranquility" -- which is more formal than even "Quiet please" (お静かに). – LiveMynd Aug 7 '17 at 6:23
    Yeah, I just meant that it would probably be worth it to add that information to the answer especially because this appears to be a Hot Network Question – siikamiika Aug 7 '17 at 6:25
    @GabbyQuattrone Your answer is fine as it is because it offers an alternative viewpoint to the question: court in Japanese fiction. I just suggested that mackygoo would improve their answer by mentioning the politeness aspect of 静粛に願います when compared to the うるさい also heard on the video that I linked. Technically it would be so-so to translate mackygoo's comment and add it to their answer but generally edits should only improve post's formatting and such without changing the actual message. – siikamiika Aug 8 '17 at 0:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.