I found this paragraph with a translation:

この選択に至った理由はたくさんありますが、全て私の意思であり、その意思をKONAMI様は尊重して契約解除を決定して下さいました。
I have many reasons for reaching this conclusion but it is all my decision. I am grateful for Konami for respecting that decision.

I don't know how to interpret this part :

その意思をKONAMI様は尊重して契約解除を決定して下さいました。

Is その意思をKONAMI様は尊重して modifying 契約解除? because I don't know how to parse it to match the translation

Is その意思をKONAMI様は尊重して modifying 契約解除? because I don't know how to parse it to match the translation

My quick answer is:

1. その意思をKONAMI様は尊重して is not modifying 契約解除.
  2. It is impossible to parse the given Japanese to match the translation in English.

I'm going to tell you why.

その意思をKONAMI様は尊重して契約解除を決定して下さいました。

The given sentece is literally interpreted as (A) or (B).

• (A) KONAMI様はその(=私の)意思を尊重して、(そして、)契約解除を決定して下さいました。
    Mr. KONAMI respected my decision and decided to cancel the contract.

• (B) KONAMI様はその(=私の)意思を尊重したので、契約解除を決定して下さいました。
    Since Mr. KONAMI respected my decision, he decided to cancel the contract.
    or
    Mr. KONAMI respected my decision, so he decided to cancel the contract.

I am grateful for Konami for respecting that decision.

原文{げんぶん}は前半{ぜんはん}と後半{こうはん}とで主語{しゅご}が異{こと}なります。後半{こうはん}の主語{しゅご}はKONAMI様です。
翻訳者{ほんやくしゃ}は原文{げんぶん}の後半{こうはん}の主語{しゅご}を前半{ぜんはん}に合{あ}わせるように変更{へんこう}して、かつ意訳{いやく}しています。
In the original sentence, the subject is different in the first half and the second half. The latter subject is Mr. KONAMI.
The translator changed the subject of the latter half of the original sentence to match that of the first half and made a free/liberal translation.

This interpretation could be, if the given sentence is rewritten from the standpoint of "me" and add "my" gratitude for his decision.
I think the person who translated this sentence into English was skillful in understanding of Japanese.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.