I searched jisho and found 整える but doing a google search for

メガネを整える

came up with practically no results so I feel that it's not the appropriate verb.

メガネを繕う

came up with more hits, is that the right one?

We're talking about this, right? – siikamiika Aug 3 '17 at 0:23
  • ya, putting them back up higher on your nose – Daniel_L Aug 3 '17 at 0:25
    メガネを繕う sounds as if the glasses were broken. – naruto Aug 3 '17 at 4:26

I would probably say...

ずり[落]{お}ちたメガネをかけ[直]{なお}す
ずり落ちたメガネ(の位置)を[直]{なお}す
ずり落ちたメガネを{[上]{あ}げる / (指で)[押]{お}し上げる}

And so would I as a glass-wearing native Japanese-speaker. – l'électeur Aug 3 '17 at 1:20

Let me add a couple of phrases: 眼鏡を上げる、眼鏡を押し上げる、and 眼鏡クイッ. The first two are fairly common.

The last one is a slangy (a bit otaku) phrase to describe the motion. Not really useful in normal conversion, but you can use it as 眼鏡をクイッと(かけ)直す仕草 and everyone should understand.

上げ押し上げる ← 「上げ」が二回出てきますけど、書き間違ってたりしません? – Chocolate Aug 3 '17 at 2:37
  • 指摘ありがとうございます。あまり携帯から書き込みしないものて… – Jimmy Aug 3 '17 at 2:40

眼鏡を押し上げる. Pushing up one's glasses.

Credit to @siikamiika.

• ah nice thanks, not sure how I forgot about 調整する, lots of relevant google hits – Daniel_L Aug 3 '17 at 0:27
  • The example sentence is about telescopes so I'm not sure if it applies to what OP is looking for but maybe 「眼鏡を押し上げる」= the act of pushing up your glasses and 「眼鏡の位置を調整する」= adjust the position of your glasses – siikamiika Aug 3 '17 at 0:35
  • @siikamiika yours sounds more accurate, do you want to put your answer up instead? I can take mine down. – knowledge_is_power Aug 3 '17 at 0:37
  • @GabbyQuattrone I'm not fully confident in those but if you want to check if they are actually used you can add them to your answer – siikamiika Aug 3 '17 at 0:39
    Most native speakers would think of other actions upon hearing the phrase 「眼鏡を調整する」. They would think of adjusting some part of the glasses using tools like a little screw driver. 「調整」 would be too big a word for what we are talking about here. – l'électeur Aug 3 '17 at 1:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.