Good afternoon all,

Sometimes I see that people like to "curl" the last mora of a verb, for example:

瑞生: ああそれから、亜湖にも特別ボーナスだ。

亜湖: えっ。

瑞生: ジャーン!

亜湖: 何それ?

瑞生: かわいいだろう?

瑞生: おいおいおい、ほら、ちょっと、当ててみろよ。

亜湖: 何?

瑞生: ほらほらほら…。

瑞生: わあ、似合ってるぅ!

(Youtube link)

I was wondering what exactly does it mean to curl the "る" sound of the verb, and in what situations do we do that?

It's just 「似合ってる~」(=似合っている), with the final sound prolonged... like you say 'Aaand...'/'Veeery'/'Ahhhh'...
    – user1016
    Apr 9, 2012 at 8:02
  • @Chocolate Btw I was wondering what's the various purposes of the elongated "る".. can it be used to make fun of the other party?
    – Pacerier
    Apr 9, 2012 at 8:48
  • No I don't think it expresses contempt or hatred etc. In this case わあ、似合ってるぅ! means 'Wow, it looks good on you~~!'. I think it's normally added to show emphasis or exclamation.
    – user1016
    Apr 11, 2012 at 9:15
  • @Chocolate Cool, thanks for the clarification =)
    – Pacerier
    Apr 11, 2012 at 14:19
  • @Pacerier It definitely can be used to make fun of the other person. However this is normally targeted at English speakers attempting to speak Japanese since beginners normally extend the u sounds more than they should.
    – Ian
    Apr 24, 2012 at 2:29

1 Answer 1

It makes it feminine and cute. It may imply that the pronunciation is done with アヒル口 (duck mouth).

• Uh btw I was thinking in the context of the video, what message is the father trying to convey when he says "似合ってるぅ" ?
    – Pacerier
    Apr 9, 2012 at 9:02
  • @Pacerier, Ew, "father"?
    – user1016
    Apr 9, 2012 at 9:07
  • @Chocolate Erm ya the father uses the "る~", @ youtube.com/…
    – Pacerier
    Apr 9, 2012 at 9:30
    In English we typically say "duckface", as one word. Apr 11, 2012 at 10:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .