i often heard 'ね' or 'な' at the end of word like かわいいな, かわいいね, いいな or いいね.

i also often hear word that ended with よ but i can't recall the example for now.

so my questions are:

1. what are they (な、ね) called?

2. how to apply them to another word? i mean are they just for noun or adjective? i think not every noun can be attached with them, correct?

3. whats the meaning of them?

any link related article about them are very welcome. ありがとうございます。

how to apply them to another word? i mean are they just for noun But.. you'd say きれいな花ね。 but not きれいな花な。 You'd instead say きれいな花だな (きれいな花だね is also good), no? – Chocolate Aug 1 '17 at 2:31
  • @ǝʇɐןoɔoɥƆ Judging by them saying they " also often hear words ending with "yo"" I think they are specifically interested in な as a sentence ending particle, but good point. – knowledge_is_power Aug 1 '17 at 3:13
  • i am confused now, so きれいな花な is wrong? – Kakashi Aug 1 '17 at 4:25
  • @Kakashi sort of, we are discussing how the な used after きれい is because there are such things as な adjectives. You would say きれいな花だな。@ǝʇɐןoɔoɥƆ I actually don't know why though, could you explain? – knowledge_is_power Aug 1 '17 at 5:32
    @Gabby な as a sentence-ending particle (終助詞) can attach to the terminal form (終止形), e.g. (i-adjective)かわいい+な (na-adjective)しずかだ+な (verb) 困る+な, ~よな, ~だよな etc.  ね can also attach to the terminal form, e.g. かわいい+ね, しずかだ+ね, 困る+ね, ~よね, ~だよね, ~わね etc. and can also be used as a copula, e.g. (noun)子ども+ね, (na-adjective)しずか+ね. – Chocolate Aug 3 '17 at 3:28

what are they (な、ね) called?

They are called sentence-ending particles. However, な can also come along with what are called な adjective.

how to apply them to another word? i mean are they just for noun or adjective? i think not every noun can be attached with them, correct?

Typically they will add on to the end of the sentence, except for な which can also be used with certain adjectives.

Here are some examples.

For な、you can:

1. Indicate emotion. Mostly used by men.

(な, in this usage, is often lengthened to なあ)

あの人はすばらしいな。That person is really great [something]!

1. Ask for another person's agreement. Used by men.

あの車は新車だよな。That's a new car, right?/That's a new car, I bet.

1. Soften the effect of an assertion.

この映画は良くなかったな。This movie just wasn't very good.

1. Soften a command or request (first example, a women speaking with typical くださいな pattern; second example, a man.)

成田まで行ってくださいな。Narita [Airport], please [if you please].

明日必ず来いな。Be sure to come tomorrow.

1. Indicate a prohibition. Used by men.

絶対にあいつに会うな。Stay away from that bum, you hear./Keep clear of that guy.

For ね、you can:

Note: ね is sometimes pronounced ねえ。

1. Indicates emotion or feelings of admiration.

きれいな花ねえ。What a pretty flower!

1. Indicates agreement with the other person.

本当にそうですね。Yes, that's quite true./That's so true.

1. Softens a request.

必ず手紙を下さいね。Be sure to write [me a letter].

1. Indicates a request for confirmation.

あの本、持って来て下さったでしょうね。You brought me that book, didn't you [as I asked you to]?/ I suppose you brought that book for me.

1. Indicates a mild assertion of, or variance in, opinion.

そうですかね。Oh, is that so?/ I wonder. /You think so?

1. Indicates a mild assertion.

私は北海道の方が寒いと思うんですけどね。I would think that Hokkaido is cooler.

For よ, you can:

1. Urge a course of action.

もうだいぶ歩いたから、この辺でちょっと休もうよ。

Let's take a break about here, guys.

We've already walked quite a bit.

1. Indicate a request (Although other particles can do this too)

私の家にも来てくださいよ。Come to my house, too.

1. Indicates a statement of certainty.

今日は金曜日ですよ。Today is Friday, you know. (Stated, for example, after someone has claimed otherwise.)

1. Indicates scolding or contempt.

あの人は仕事ができないわよ。He just can't do the work!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.