Does 意識してる have a different meaning than "being aware" in the following sentence?

この漫画の原作を書く時は自分の中にある1番悪い部分をどれだけ出せるか…ってことを意識してます。

Considering that the sentence that comes before is a question, it comes natural to me to translate 意識してる as "I wonder", but I couldn't find this meaning in dictionaries. Is my interpretation correct? Or I got it completely wrong? Thank you for your help!

EDIT: my translation attempt.

I wonder(?) to what extent I am able to convey the worst part that's inside me when I write the story of this manga.

I think 意識してる in your sentence means "pay attention" "keep in mind" (close to 気にしている, 注意を払っている or 心にとめている).

So I think it can translate to something like:

"I (always) pay attention to how much I am able to convey the most evil part that's inside me when I write the story of this manga."

by which the author practically means:

"I always try as much as I can to convey the most evil part that's inside me when I write the story of this manga."

• Thank you for your answer! So, in this case, the meaning of 意識 is more close to "think" or "pay attention", rather than "being conscious, aware", right? – Marco Jul 30 '17 at 13:49
    @Marco Precisely! "being conscious/aware"(≂気づいている)ではなく、"(actively) think/pay attention"(≂(積極的に)考える・注意を払う)という感じだと思います。 – Chocolate Jul 30 '17 at 14:21
  • how about 不思議 ? I found that the meaning is "wonder" too, am I wrong? – evanhutomo Jul 30 '17 at 17:34
    @Marco "being concious / aware of " is more likely to be 意識がある rather than 意識する. – user4092 Jul 31 '17 at 6:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.