Heard this in an anime recently, and I was unsure why the particle was used. Context: a guy has invited his girlfriend over to study, and the girlfriend finds a dirty magazine. The following exchange takes place:

男 : 香奈さん? 今日はテスト勉強しにいらしたのでしょう?

女 : 何が勉強だし! どうせ千秋はこういうことばかり考えてたんでしょ!

男 : そんなことないけど…

Why did he say も here instead of saying そんなことないけど or something similar? I can't quite figure out in what sense the particle is being used. It doesn't seem to me a case of it being used in the sense of "even," or trying to show how big of a thing something is. It also doesn't immediately make sense to me for it to be in the sense of "also"; in that case it would mean "that's not the case" (in addition to other things not being the case), but the only way I can make that make sense is if I assume what he means is "I didn't invite you over for that, but I may not have invited you over to study either." I think I'm just missing some possible sense of the particle--could someone enlighten me?

The も is used in the sense of...

も 🈩〘副助〙* 
⓬ さりげなく取り立てて、文意をやわらげる。...
㋐《多く、文末表現に使って》一歩引く気持ちで、その判断をやわらげる。...
「その件なら知らなくない」「そんな感じがしないでない」
(from 明鏡国語辞典)

The も softens the statement. 「そんなことない」 sounds softer and less decisive/assertive than 「そんなことない」.

* 明鏡国語辞典 categorizes 係助詞(binding particles) as 副助詞(adverbial particles).

• なので・・・千秋くんは、多少「こういうこと」を考えたんでしょうね・・ – Chocolate Jul 29 '17 at 12:19

I will logically strenghen ǝʇɐןoɔoɥƆ's answer.

• Aだ。 It is 100% A.
  • Aもだ。Bもだ。 It is 50% A.
  • Aもだ。Bもだ。Cもだ。 It is 33% A.
  • Aもだ。 It is less than 100% A.

So, the も softens the statement. "Aもだ" sounds softer and less decisive/assertive than "Aだ".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.