I'm not sure how I would write a professional email to a business in Japanese. For example, if I wanted to start out with "Hello," I wouldn't say こんにちは, would I? I know there are polite ways of saying things in Japanese, including special conjugations for verbs.

Basically I would like to know how to start out an email, ways to write the body professionally, and end politely.

Let's say you're writing to a certain Mr. Tanaka Tarou, who's the representative director of the XYZ corporation. I would write the email on the following lines, where I put more than one example just to give you some ideas.

件名 - object:

• 【△△社】○○参考資料{さんこうしりょう}のご送付{そうふ}
  • ○月○日のお打ち合わせのお礼

宛名 - Addressee:

株式会社{かぶしきがいしゃ}XYZ

代表取締役{だいひょうとりしまりやく} 田中太郎様

あいさつ文 - greetings:

• お世話になっております。株式会社YOUR_COMPANYのGabby Quattroneでございます。
  • お世話になっております。株式会社YOUR_COMPANYのGabby Quattroneと申します。
  • ご無沙汰{ぶさた}しております (if you haven't written for some time)

内容 - contents:

This pretty much depends on what you want to say so I will skip it. The important thing is to maintain throughout this part a formal and polite linguistic register.

結びの文 - Conclusions:

• 今後ともどうぞよろしくお願いいたします。
  • 引き続きどうぞよろしくお願いいたします。
  • お手数おかけしますが、何卒{なにとぞ}よろしくお願いいたします。

Below is a full mock email:

○○会社営業部 部長 
××様 
いつも大変お世話になっております。 
株式会社△△の田中です。 

このたびは、お忙しいなか、貴重な時間を割いていただき誠にありがとうございました。 
貴社とのお取引開始を、大変喜ばしく思っております。 
今後、改めて御社のご要望に十分添った形で、 
製品精度を高めていく所存です。 

また、ご不明な点等ございましたらご連絡ください。 
今後とも、どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

I put a bit of my own here and there and took some examples and the last email from here.

• Can you use furigana? There are some parts I can't read immediately such as 資料. Thank you! – knowledge_is_power Jul 27 '17 at 8:32
  • On all of it??? o_O – Tommy Jul 27 '17 at 8:33
  • No, I understand most of it. Sorry! I could write here which ones I do not. – knowledge_is_power Jul 27 '17 at 8:33
  • If it is too much trouble, I can search it up myself later. Thank you again! ^^; – knowledge_is_power Jul 27 '17 at 8:34
    @GabbyQuattrone No worries I put some in there, I skipped the last mock email if you don't mind. – Tommy Jul 27 '17 at 8:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.