For full context, see this document: https://www.docdroid.net/CAEv4Gb/img-20170726-0001-new.pdf

The sentence in question: 赤と白のしまのセーターにジーンズをはいた女の子ですね。

1) Is it necessary to write い-adjective + の here, or would 赤くて白い work as well? Is there a difference in meaning?

2) why is there this に? I can’t make any sense of it. To me the sentence says: „It is a girl wearing jeans and a sweatshirt in red and white stripes.” What function does に have in this context? Oo

That 「に」 has been discussed multiple times here. – l'électeur Jul 26 '17 at 11:23
  • @l'électeur Can you post the link for him here I cant find it. – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 11:25
    @l'électeur How do you propose the OP find such discussions? A search on に, for example, will pull up just about every post on this site. I believe I've seen such answers too, but I don't have the slightest clue of how to locate them. If you have some suggestions to the OP about how they might conduct their search, drop them a clue. Or better yet, if you know of such answers, create a link. – A.Ellett Jul 26 '17 at 13:16
    It looks like you've got the basic idea. In this context, に essentially means something like "together with": so "jeans together with a .... striped sweater". (Or as you translated it, "and"). But, I can't explain this point of grammar, so I'm not qualified to provide an answer. I certainly can't explain it enough so that you would be able reproduce such a grammatical construction on your own. – A.Ellett Jul 26 '17 at 13:20
    Perhaps this answer can help you why に can mean “and”? – A.Ellett Jul 26 '17 at 13:30

Q1)

No it is not necessary but still acceptable, but in that case the の in 赤と白[縞]{しま} is needed to be dropped as well.

Acceptable forms:

• 赤と白の縞
  • 赤いと白い縞
  • 赤と白縞

Although it maybe valid in some cases, 白い縞 is just very weird. I would suggest NOT to say it that way.

Q2)

It can also mean "with".

Please refer to this question

-A.Ellett

• @A.Ellett False, I can find it but I just didn't. l'électeur is a experienced user and I trusted him. Besides, I did read the same question at least twice before. I thought if I answered his question 2, it will become a duplicate. – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 13:32
    I was only saying you couldn't find it because that's what you wrote in your comment. Nevertheless, I wouldn't just take someone's word for it; experienced users can be wrong about what they remember seeing. I've seen it happen before. Anyhow, I found the link, perhaps you can embed it as part of your answer. Just see my comments above. :-) Additionally, I think duplicates of this sort of thing are not bad, it will help people in the future with their searches. – A.Ellett Jul 26 '17 at 13:35
  • I see, thanks for telling me. I am new to the site as well anyway. ^_^ – ed9w2in6 Jul 26 '17 at 13:38
    「赤いと白い縞」「赤と白縞」とは言いません。変です。「赤と白の縞」stripes of red and while, 赤(noun)+と+白(noun)+の+縞(noun) としか言わないと思います – Chocolate Jul 26 '17 at 13:54
    日本語母語話者が?ないないw そもそも文法的に間違ってるでしょ、 「 赤いと白い縞」とか。ネットでヒットする「赤と白縞」は「赤と白、縞模様の・・・」とかそんな文脈。 – Chocolate Jul 26 '17 at 14:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.